Licensure in Oregon

As of January 2015, Oregon requires ABA practitioners who are billing insurance for ABA services to hold a license to receive reimbursement.

ABA practitioners who are certified through the Behavior Analysis Certification Board (BACB) (BCBAs and BCaBAs) can apply for licensure to become Licensed Behavior Analysts (LBAs) or Licensed Assistant Behavior Analysts (LABAs) through the Behavior Analysis Regulatory Board housed within the Oregon Health Authority’s Health Licensing Office (HLO.)

Non-certified interventionists or Registered Behavior Technicians (RBTs) need to apply to become Registered Behavior Analysis Interventionists (RBAIs) via the HLO.

Visit the Behavior Analysis Regulatory Board (BARB) for up-to-date information about licensure.

The licensing forms and information described below are available from the HLO forms page.

  1. Licensed Behavior Analyst and Licensed Assistant Behavior Analyst: If you are already a Board Certified Behavior Analyst or Assistant Behavior Analyst (BCBA or BCaBA), you will need to submit your fingerprints via a LiveScan operator for a background check, submit an application, and pay a fee to the HLO. If you do not have board certification and are interested in pursuing one, you can find more information from the Behavior Analysis Certification Board (BACB).
  2. Registered Behavior Analysis Interventionist: If you are an interventionist or RBT 18 years or older, you will either need to undergo 40 hours of ABA training to meet BARB’s Interventionist ABA Skills List or have a current Licensed Behavior Analyst attest that you have done so already. 40-hour RBT trainings that meet the BACB’s requirements for RBT certification are accepted, as is in-house training or training provided live within an educational institution. Then, you will need to submit your fingerprints via a LiveScan operator for a background check, submit an application with proof of current education requirements (high school diploma, General Educational Development (GED) certificate or a degree from a post-secondary institution), proof of age, and pay a fee to the Oregon HLO. You will also need to identify a supervisor, sign a supervision agreement, complete the competency assessment, and begin to fulfill RBAI supervision requirements.

You can check licensing status on the Oregon Health Licensing Office search page. Choose “ABA – Behavior Analysis Regulatory Board ” from the “Board” dropdown menu.

Here are some places people have gotten them taken quickly: Washington County Sheriff Department in Hillsboro, Clackamas Police DepartmentFingerprinting Services & Investigations in downtown Portland.